My time at home since my last consolidation treatment was pretty uneventful. Until recently, that is.
Last Friday I got my counts checked and they found out I needed platelets. Saturday I went to the hospital at 7 am. The platelets were not ready yet, so I waited in the room for about an hour. When they were ready, the nurse came in to hook me up. Literally. Ha!
Last time, they took about an hour to infuse or whatever you want to call it. This time, however, the nurse did them at mach speed. They "infused" in about 10 minutes! As soon as the bag was empty, I got this terrible feeling in my stomach. It felt like I was going to throw up. I told the nurse and she didn't think it was a reaction to the platelets directly. I was convinced it was because they went in so quickly. After a few minutes, I felt good enough to go home. Jackie and the girls were killing time at Chick-fil-a. We thought they would have more time to play, he was very surprised when I called so early to say I was done.
When I got in the van, I felt a lot better. We are in the process of rearranging {downsizing, too} our living room. I wanted to find a corner TV stand or just a smaller one that can go beside our fireplace. So, Jackie suggested we go look around at a local furniture store that is going out of business to see what they have left.
They have a TON of furniture still for sale. And, of course, 2 days after we received "new to us" couch and love seat, I would walk into the furniture store and see THE PERFECT couch and love seat set! I mean, exactly what I have been wanting and picturing. I was so excited and then I remembered about the "new" stuff we had that we didn't have to pay 1,000 and some change for it. So, I had to move on and leave them behind. I may or may not have shed a tear.
We didn't find a TV stand. But, we found a sofa table I really liked, but Jackie wants me to shop around and not buy the first one I see. What is it about a man and shopping around!? I thought he didn't like shopping. HA! So, we left empty-handed. Maybe if I don't find anything better, the sofa table will still be there when I go back. Cheaper, too! One can only hope.
Monday, I had my counts checked and I was really low. Not low enough for any more transfusions, but low enough to have to wear a mask out in public and I probably shouldn't have gone to church on Sunday. Oops. Oh well. I just felt really worn out, a little weak, and my appetite had been waning.
Wednesday, I went back for another check on my counts and I KNEW I was going to need blood. I felt really light-headed, was extremely tired and I didn't want to eat. I almost passed out a couple of times, just standing up.
And, I was right. But, on top of all that, I had a fever. THAT is bad news. We don't want a fever when I don't have an immune system to fight back. So, I had Jackie call my nurse navigator here at Chapel Hill, and ask her if she thought we should head straight there. It was going to take 24 hours for my local doctor's office to get my blood products and I didn't want to wait until my fever got higher to get to the hospital. She agreed and told us to head on over to Chapel Hill. Jackie rushed trying to find someone to keep our girls. We went home and we discovered that neither of us had our house keys. Oops, again. It took us about 15 to 20 minutes to get in.
My friend came to get the girls, and Jackie and I packed some overnight things and headed out to Chapel Hill.
We had to go to the ER, and I was really nervous about sitting in the waiting room with all the sick people. The ER personnel were thinking the same thing, and had us wait in a separate room to be called back. They knew they were going to admit me, but I had to wait for a real room.
They started my anti-biotics in the ER. All of a sudden, I started itching like crazy. It was terrible, I could have scratched my skin off. I finally got into a room about 1 am.
They gave me Benadryl because it was apparent that I was having a reaction to the anti-biotics. I felt so much better. But not before I saw myself in the mirror. It was either from the scratching or from the meds, but I was TOMATO red. My face was all splotchy. And from my neck down was so red and hot to the touch! It was unbearable. I couldn't stop scratching, but the scratching didn't relieve anything. It was so frustrating. The Benadryl helped immensely, though.
It is Friday night, and I am still here. They say I won't be able to go home until my ANC number is a 0.5 or greater, Right now? It's at 0.0 I am praying it will be at least 0.5 by tomorrow. I am so ready to go home. I was thinking I would only be here overnight. Not for a few days. I haven't had an "unexpected" visit to the hospital before, so I didn't know what to expect.
So, here I sit. Waiting.
We have been killing time by reading, sleeping a lot {Benadryl is good for that!!} and I have been on pinterest until my eyes want to bleed. HA!
Please join me in praying I will be able to go home tomorrow! Pray for my ANC to get up to AT LEAST 0.5!
I have to trust that God has a plan for me to be here. It's just hard because I want to be home with my girls! I miss them so much!
Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise Him.
3 comments:
I'm praying for you from Italy!
Praying!!!!
I'm a couple of days late....praying and hoping you are at home.
Post a Comment