Thursday, July 04, 2013

Grace Through Every Trial

Reading the book of Job, most people focus on Job.  {It is named for him...after all}  But, in focusing on Job, and ALL he lost, you lose sight of the real purpose of the book of Job: to show the glory of God, the majesty of who He is!
I just finished a book, called Grace For Every Trial.  By Betty Henderson.  It is a fantastic book! Mrs. Henderson takes you on through Job from beginning to end and helps show you how to be a better encourage-er, the appropriate response to trials in your own life, how NOT to encourage people going through trials.  The last one is a biggie! Ha! People mean well, don't they!?
Since being sick, many people have given me encouraging cards, thoughts and advice.  There has also been the occasion "Well, they MEANT well." comments.  For instance, I was sitting in the waiting room of our local oncology office.  It was relatively busy in the waiting room and I had to wear a mask because my counts were low.  Directly across from me was an older gentleman with an oxygen tank.  He stared at me for a long time.  I made eye contact a few times and smiled forgetting I had a mask on   Finally, he broke his silence : "You are too young to be this sick.!"  Yes, sir. You're telling me.  I smiled again, forgot about the mask again  I knew he wasn't done.  You know when you can TELL someone just HAS to say the something on their minds?! Yeah, he had that look. " You're gonna hafta work real hard to get old, now!!"
Uhh, huh!?  Wow. I kind of awkwardly chuckled and just moved on in my mind.  Thankfully at that very moment, the nurse came out and called me back.
I know he meant well.  I KNOW he didn't mean anything bad by saying that.  Maybe he was just trying to be funny.  It didn't hurt my feelings.  But, it certainly didn't encourage me either.  I think my facebook post about it said something about "i need to follow him to make sure he isn't on any encouragement ministries at any churches.." something like that.

So, all that to say, encouraging is what we are supposed to be.  Helping each other and lifting up each other in love.  Even if you are saying something negative {not what this post is necessarily about ..} you can still say it in a way that shows that person you care about them and them to have the best in their lives.

Back to the book.  I recommend it for any Christian lady going through a trial, that has gone through a trial, who knows someone going through a trial.  Basically, I recommend it to everyone.  Because whether we like it or not, this world and our lives are chock full o' trials.  That just comes with the territory.

The thing I like about this bible study is that it isn't just all about HER opinion.  She gives you the scripture that corresponds with the section to read, Gives a little bit of herself, and then asks YOU questions.  And, almost ALL of them have to do with scripture and WHO GOD IS.  Not, just how you FEEL.
Let's face it, if we based our relationship on how we FEEL, we wouldn't get anywhere!  Thankfully, my relationship with God and His Son is not based on how I feel that day.  My salvation is secure.  HE is near me, whether I FEEL close to HIM or not.  Feelings are fickle.  GOD IS NOT.  He is faithful.  He is true.

I keep going off on rabbit trails, but, it's okay.  It's late and I am allowed. 
:)

Long story short? The book is good.  Our God is GREAT and Job was, well, a righteous man, brought to the bottom, only to be brought higher in the end than he could have ever imagined! Get the book!

On other news:

My counts are great so far!  Nothing on the leukemia or transplant end to report.

I do feel the need to share something VERY funny that happened tonight, though.
Jackie changes my dressings every week if I am not in the hospital {the "bandage" over my catheter on my chest}  Tonight, we made it through without any tears being shed! Mine, or his! ha! I kid, he doesn't cry when I get it changed.  But, I normally do.  Anywho, I was still laying on the couch and he had JUST finished and was taking his gloves off with a flourish and a slight flick of his hand.  All of a sudden, I felt something SNAP on my neck. Specifically where my catheter and stitches are.  I screamed, and started crying. He sat up straight and got really close to me and said, "Did THAT hit you!?" I shook my head yes and was BALLING my eyes out. Then I started to laugh.  Crying and laughing.  That's never happened to me before ugh, gosh, ALL the time.  He felt so bad.  I felt bad for him.  He didn't think he was that close.  He was.  It's funny now.  The sting only lasted a few moments and I was fine.  I think I was more shocked and knew the area that it hit was supposed to hurt really bad if a GLOVE was snapped onto it! ha!

So, that's my funny for the day.  I don't know what or when I will post again, hopefully soon and something NOT cancer related.  I promise I have a life outside of cancer, y'all.



{This is not a sponsored post, just my ramblings about a great book I have recently finished and I wanted to share.  I was not compensated in anyway.  Just FYI}

No comments: