I have been here at UNC since Thursday evening. I started chemo late Thursday night. I will be done with this round of consolidation late Tuesday night and I will be leaving here after my appointment with the Transplant doctor on Wednesday. So far it has been kind of uneventful. I DO get a rash and have hot flesh after each 2 hour course of chemo. And, I get hot flashes because of the shot I had to have to protect my eggs from the chemo and to help with other lady things....any who. So that's fun! SIKE. And, my skin is being irritated underneath my catheter, so they want to watch for infection. IF it becomes infected they will have to take this one out and put a whole new one in, in a new spot. You see why I said KIND of uneventful? I am thankful though, that these are the side effects I am feeling. It could be worse. So, it's all about perspective. I suppose.
I have been really off my "schedule" lately. Eating each meal later than a normal time and sleeping crazy hours.
UPDATE*
I am now home. I was in the hospital from Thursday evening until Wednesday morning. Today, I went to our local Oncologist {Doc #2, from previous posts} and had my counts checked. Just as if I were still in the hospital, if my counts fall below a certain number I will have to have a transfusion. But, my counts were still above that number, so I go back on Monday to have them checked again. NO BLOOD today! YAY!
While I was getting my consolidation chemo this past week, the nurses started giving me eye drops. The high dosage of chemo and this KIND of chemo irritates the eyes. Irritate is an understatment. I am basically forcing myself to type this post out because it has been over a week and it was either this or hold my eyes open with toothpicks and stare at the wall. {even closing my eyes to give them rest and lubrication is extremely uncomfortable} It feels better to keep them open and blink in rapid succession. And, when I do close them, I have to trick myself into opening them lightening fast. Trust me, I can make a game out of almost anything.
I do have prescription eye drops and I do use them. If I thought holding my eyes over the water hose would help, I would! And, that says a lot, because I don't put stuff into my eyes. The nurses did the drops for me! But, I have been
My transplant appointment, you ask?!
That was terrible. For me, anways. The doctor seemed unscathed. I understand he has to lay it all out there for everyone. Risks associated with getting a transplant. Percentages of survival. That kind of thing. But, really!? It was very painful to hear. I'm the kind of person that would rather go through something like that thinking nothing but I am going to make it. Like, it won't even occur to me that it could be lethal. I hear one little "You MIGHT get seriously ill and die" and I am starting to mourn the loss of my life, already. But, I try to combat that with God's Word, with positivity and prayer and with loving looks at my husband. It's hard to be joyful when someone tells you there is a good chance something could go wrong.
But, he still recommends that my best chance of long term survival is the transplant. He is going to get a bit more information and statistics about my cancer and my transplant for us, because we asked.
They did tell me at this appointment, when I come back in for the transplant, I would be in the hospital for 4-5 weeks, if nothing goes wrong. But, during those weeks, Charlotte and Audrey could come visit, but that they wouldn't allow Sadie to come. It broke my heart to hear that. I couldn't imagine going 4-5 weeks without seeing one of my girls! Can you imagine Jackie telling Sadie that Charlotte and Audrey get to go see mommy, but you have to stay home!? I didn't ask what age they do the cut off. I should have. Hopefully by that time she will be 3. I have 6 months. I do hope I get a transplant sooner than that. But, I had a hard enough time going a full week without seeing them.
We will cross that bridge when we get to it.
They also said that after I am released from the hospital, I will have to stay in Chapel Hill for about 2- 3 months! I will have to come in to the hospital for tests and monitoring daily or every other "daily" {ha!, it's the little things that make me giggle} And, that if something goes wrong they have to be able to get to me quickly. Well, that's reassuring.
That's what I get for saying the day we moved into this house that "I am NOT moving again until we buy a house." Yup. I am idiot. I said that.
Let's see. Anything else?
I go back to my doctor at UNC on the 10th of June. I suppose that is when they will schedule my next consolidation round.
Now, for something NOT cancer related. My daughter is almost done with Kindergarden!! When did that happen!? Next week she will have a End of the Year program and her last day of school is the 7th! My little girl is not so little anymore. I will have a 1st grader! And, it will be my last year {next school year} having Audrey at home! February comes and I will have to register HER for kindergarden! All the moms were right: it does fly by!!
Enjoy your littles, while they are little. Love on them while your here. Because as Fezzick says in Princess Bride : "Now you are here! But soon, you will not be here!!"
It's okay to laugh. I wrote it to be funny.
2 comments:
Dear Kari,
I started reading your story after Kate from the Small Things Blog did your hair for you. I live in Adelaide, Australia and want to let you know I'm praying for you and your family. Thank you for your honesty, I feel slightly intrusive reading about such painful and previous moments, but also know you are a sister in Christ and that we pray to the same God who hears our prayers
Lauren
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement!! I am very humbled by the people in so many different places, lifting my name up in prayer!!
Post a Comment