Thursday, April 30, 2009

Henna Party!?

For those of you that don't know what Henna is..go here.
Back when my sister started to show, she told me she wanted to have me henna her belly.
I told her to just tell me the time and the place!
Well, last night after church was the time and my house was the place!!!
I wasn't sure exactly how I would do it. But I figured I could give it a try.
Apparently she didn't have any faith in my creative abilities either.
Because last night before she came over she told asked me
to see if Jewel would be interested in doing it.
After Lisa got here, and showed me what she wanted Hennaed{!?} on her belly I was glad that Jewel had agreed to come over!!!
We started getting the ingredients together and then read that they recommend for best results letting the mixture sit for at least 10 hours. Not 10 minutes..10 HOURS!! Um, yeah right. It was already after 10 pm by the time we got started!
But, we continued!
We mixed all the stuff together {BTW..the henna powder smells like rabbit food.} and when you mix it all together it looks like breast-fed babies' poop. SICK.
It called for just a little bit of henna powder, but when mixed with the other ingredients, it was still too runny. So we added more powder..and more powder and even more powder.
Until we had added the entire pack!
Finally it was the correct consistency! ha!
By this time Lisa was delirious. She couldn't stop laughing!
It was so funny. But, hard to get the paste into the thingy {yes, that is the technical term...look it up..ha ha} with her laughing like that.
Anyway. So we got everything ready and Lisa cleaned CLEANSED her belly.

It was time to get started!!



Jewel started just freehanding it on her belly with the actual henna.

But it was really difficult, so she used the transfer pen first and then traced the lines with the henna. That seemed a lot less complicated!


Finished with the pen..on to the henna.

All DONE!!!

Sort of. Jewel was done anyway. Thanks Jewel! You did a GREAT job!!!!! Isn't it really cool, y'all!?

All that was left was to let it sit a while, then she could just flake off the henna!!!

I would have gotten a picture of the actual finished product, BUT when Lisa got up this morning to flake it off, and leave it was about 7:30. I saw it. but I was still half asleep! What I remember it looked good!

I talked to her this afternoon and she said it was really faded looking but it was because we didn't let the mixture sit a while like we were supposed to.

Oh well. We will know better for next time.

NEXT TIME?!?!!?

2 comments:

Jewel said...

Hahaha...that's funny. I learned so much from this experience. First, read the instructions first. Second, from looking at the photos, I hold a pen in a very peculiar way. Third, babies moving around in bellies freaks me out and reminds me of the Alien movies.

OHmommy said...

THAT is very cool!