Three words I never thought I'd hear : "You have leukemia".
The air was completely sucked out of the room.
I don't really remember my first thought.
I do remember how it all started.
We were getting ready to move, I was busy packing.
Jackie was busy with work, packing, getting everything in order for us to move.
He had been sick for a couple of weeks.
The girls had been passing around germs and ear infections.
So far, I was in the clear.
Then, the day of our move came and I woke up with a horrible sore throat.
Jackie was still feeling bad, and the girls weren't at their best, either.
This move was going to be FUN!
We got everything moved but the outside stuff. That was on a Monday.
Tuesday morning I woke up feeling worse and only unpacked our bathroom stuff.
That was the last thing I unpacked in our house.
I felt awful on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. By Sunday, I was finally feeling better, but 2 of the 3 girls were sick now, so we stayed home from church Sunday morning.
Sunday night they were feeling fine, so I took them to church.
I'm not going to lie, I was going STIR CRAZY!
After church we also had a teen dinner, and I was really looking forward to the fellowship.
Everything was going well, I was feeling great, but, about an hour and a half into the evening, Charlotte threw up.
So, we went home I kept her home Monday from school.
Monday night, I started to feel awful again.
Tuesday came and went and then came Wednesday.
I couldn't take it anymore.
I asked Jackie to take me to the doctor.
I hadn't really eaten any food in almost a week. I was so weak.
While he was getting the girls dressed, he told me to go on to the van. I stumbled towards the door.
I had to stop and take a break at the table, RIGHT BY THE DOOR, to keep from passing out.
When I THOUGHT I was strong enough, I got up and opened the door.
This is where things get really hazy.
I remember it being EXTREMELY bright outside.
I saw the steps down from the house.
The next thing I know, I woke up next to van on the ground.
I couldn't see much. It was too bright.
I grabbed the door handle, opened the passenger side door and pulled myself inside.
I shut the door and as far as I know, passed out again.
The next thing I hear is Jackie screaming my name and shaking me.
I woke up,he said he thought I was dead.
He said I mumbled something about being fine and he jumped in the van and sped off.
I calmly told him to just take me to the doctor where I had an appointment. Not to take me to the ER.
He listened. Bless his heart.
We went inside, they took me back, asked me some questions.
I almost lost consciousness in the doctor's arms while he was examining me.
They ran some blood work and hooked me up to fluids because I was severely dehydrated.
I thought that was the worst of it. I started to feel a bit better.
They made me lay there in the room hooked to an IV for about an hour. Finally, the doctor came back in and very matter of factly said "your white blood cell count is WAY too high. 77,000 approximately.
The average person's count is 10,000.
This is Dr. So-&-So {another doctor} from across the street. He is a hematologist and an oncologist."
"Mrs. Elwart, we think you have leukemia."
Psalm 22:19
Pt 2 coming soon.
7 comments:
I remember the move... I remember thinking I was glad to see you Sunday night but you looked so drained... I was hoping things were gonna just go back to normal but then you text me that night and said Charlotte threw up then Sadie again... I got really worried then Wednesday I got sick and Rob came home and told me you were at the er I was shocked! In Michigan I was looking at my phone waiting to hear what crazy virus you had... Then I see Jackie's post and I read the first sentence I immediately knew it but i read on skimming of course I wanted to know... Then I read it sitting on the couch I burst into sudden tears so bad everyone in the room asked me what was wrong but i couldn't speak... I whispered Kari has leukemia... Only Robert knew who I was talk about... I know this was probably not what you wanted for a comment but i wanted you to know we care about you all! Love ya thanks for sharing!! I hope the next story is "The day I found out I was a miracle!" :-)
I also hope that you are better soon I'm hoping to go on our yearly girls day out in October to Nearly New Fish and Cheddars ;-)
Kari,
Thank you for sharing your story. I have been praying for you, Jackie and the girls. I know what it is like to watch someone you love go through something like this. As you know my brother Luke was diagnosed with Leukemia right before his fourth birthday. I was 14 at the time. I remember watching my parents, they were upset but trusting God to bring us through that great trial. My mom's favorite verse quickly became Phil. 4:13. Our strength was not enough but God's was. After 2 1/2 years of treatments of being poked and all the testing Luke was finally done with it all and Leukemia free! Praise be to God! The Lord took that trial in our lives and brought us closer as a family and closer to Him. I will never forget but I praise God for all he did. Even if our faith wavered He was always there. May God's peace and joy continue to hold you and may you be home soon and free from this disease. God Bless!
I found you while reading The Small Things Blog with Kate. Your story has touched me to the core. I will be praying for your family. I pray for peace for you and your husband and a healthy happy life.
xoxo,
Michelle
www.thebestpartofsimplicity.com
Thank you for sharing that Abby! We love y'all, too!
Praise the Lord! Thank you for your prayers!!
Thank you!!
Post a Comment