Monday, I went to my 36 week visit at the OB Clinic. The doctor tried to find the head or butt in my pelvis or near it, and she wasn't there. SOO...she went further up, and found her laying sideways in my uterus. Transverse. ( Her butt is on my left side, and her head at my right) This is not going to work if I want to have a vaginal birth. So they rushed me out of the room to see another doctor to talk about my options. Basically, I had two: 1) do a version procedure. meaning they would try and turn her manually by pushing on her. This could cause complications though. They could rupture her bag of water, and put me into preterm labor, and have to rush me into an emergency c-section, OR it could make my placenta come away from my uterine wall, also calling for an emergency c-section. This procedure only has about a 50% success rate at the hospital. And even if it does work, (without the complications) she could turn herself back around.
2) schedule a c-section for the 39th week. This also could be risky. There could be excessive bleeding, infection or even death.
Do I really need to express how terrified I was after that appointment!? But, my position on this has changed. I of course freaked out, but then after thinking and praying about it for a bit, I realized I am not in control. Yes, I still want it to work out my way, BUT...it's not up to me.
So, Jackie and I decided that it would be pointless to put the baby and I through a version, so we are going to schedule the C-section and PRAY AND PRAY that she turns so we can cancel that too!
I looked up ways that I can help her to turn, and most of them make a lot of sense. Ways like crawling around on all fours, putting a cold pack on top of my stomach and a warm pack at the bottom, ( baby wants to be warm not cold, so she will move towards the heat) speaking towards my pelvis, so she will move to the sound, doing gentle lunges to open my pelvis a little bit more to give her more room. Stuff like that. Tuesday night, Jackie read her some books that we have, and she reacted to his voice, it was so great. But, I doubt she is in position now.
Yesterday we had another OB appointment and didn't really get anywhere new. The doctor was VERY opinionated and couldn't understand why we would want to cancel the version and
put myself through "major abdominal surgery".
I really felt as if I were on trial, and was pretty close to tears defending our decision. It took all the stregnth I had NOT to burst into tears.
After she realized that we were set on NOT having the version, she contradicted herself and gave us some ideas for turning the baby that she had heard may have helped turn a transverse baby. It was pretty amusing how she backtracked without even realizing it herself. But, of course, Jackie and I picked right up on it.
Anywho. Busy Busy week going to class after class, and a Valentine Banquet tomorrow night at church for the youth.
This is what we have done so far in preparing for baby..(classes)
-Jackie had 2 days of Daddy's Baby BootCamp
-So Far we have had 2 classes of Lamaze...or Childbirth Classes and we have 2 more to go.
-Breastfeeding Class
-Labor and Delivery Floor Tour (the new rooms are AWESOME!!)
-Budgeting for Baby Workshop/Class
We have heard a lot of stuff that we knew already, and learned a bucketload of things we didn't know. The classes have been very informative and interesting!
Next week I was supposed to be going to a Mom's Basic Training Course for 2 days, but they cancelled it for some reason. Because they cancelled it, I have a Home Visitor coming to the house the following week to give me all the information that I would have gotten in class! Pretty excited about that! Then the last week in February, we have one final class Infant Care Class. Where they give you tips on caring for a newborn. Can't wait for that one, either! Should be lots of fun!!!
Well, that's about it. Nothing else to report!!
4 comments:
We are praying for you and your little girl! Thanks so much for the update! Keep posting!
I hope everything goes well. My friend had a version with her firstborn and everything went well. I had 2 successful CSections. However, we'll be praying that she'll turn.
I hope that you don't think I am being forward here but I am a friend of Susan's and just decided to blog surf off the comments on her blog. I am also a Neonatal nurse and actually did not have to make this decision for my own pregnancy 2 years ago because he did turn, but was faced with the prospect as he spent most of the pregnancy transverse. I can assure you that regardless of what your doctor's say, the C-section is much safer than the aversion procedure. So feel good about your decision and keep praying that she turns! Good luck and Congrats! Cynetta
Congratulations! We are so happy for you.
Post a Comment