Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving from Iraq

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. There are so many things to be thankful for this year probably more so than last. This last year Kari and I celebrated our first Wedding Anniversary. Lord willing, the first of MANY. I am thankful for Dad and Mom. I cannot thank God enough for how He guided them through each decision they made together. I am so glad for the example they showed us of what a God-filled marriage should be like. They had their hard times, but always stuck together and depended upon the Lord. I am also thankful for my brothers and sisters who have also been a wonderful example for me to emulate. Each one has helped me through many difficult times in their own way, but the thing that always is the same. God is the center of the advice I receive from them. So Thank You all.

God has blessed us all so much. Being here in Iraq, is such a eye-opener to how much we really have to be thankful for. If we think we have nothing, there is someone with less. I can guarantee that. We all know that even with no earthly possessions, we are far richer than the richest man alive when we have Jesus Christ as our Savior. That I can't be thankful enough about. These Iraqi's over here are people just like we are. They are just raised in a different culture and tend to believe the wrong things. They still have needs. We all were raised in a FREE country where getting blown up or shot at was not a concern on a daily basis. We didn't grow up with the military driving up and down our streets regulating what we can and can't do. We didn't grow up with people pointing weapons at us or see people shot all the time. These people see a lot of things and have gone through a lot. Many of them would die for the freedom we have, and many of them have already.

I am thankful for where I am at today. God has placed me here for a reason. I may not know what it is right now, other than the war itself, but I have learned a ton from being here already. Praise God for our freedom. Thank God for the lives we have and the ability to share with others the same great joy we have in Christ.

Well, I have to go now. I hope that you will not feel sad for me being here on Thanksgiving away from family. I am thankful to be here, and I will be thankful to be home when it is time. But until then, Happy Thanksgiving to all. Have a wonderful day with friends and family, and thank God for all he has done for you.

P.S. Kari, don't take me being thankful for being here the wrong way. I know you won't, but I had to put here just in case. I can't wait to see you again. I love you, sweetheart.

From across the ocean and from my heart,
Jackie Elwart
Cpl. USMC

2 comments:

Sher said...

Jackie, It's so good to hear from you on here and on the phone. I can't wait to see you again. Thanks for all you do and are doing. Love you lots!!

Love, Sher

Kari said...

Thanks, Jackie for finally finding the time to post. I really appreciate it! I miss you terribly and I love you!